Friday, June 4, 2010

The Day Of Days

Today, June 4, 2010, is National Donut Day. That's right. Today we celebrate that food group with the hole in the middle. Tomorrow we celebrate National Cholesterol Day, but that's another story. I know this much, if I eat enough donuts today, my cholesterol will be way up tomorrow. How important is it that we celebrate things like this? I mean, how badly does a donut need it's own day? Is it to make sure we never forget about donuts and the contribution they have made to our nation and our national consciousness? I don't need to have a day named after the donut to do that. All I have to do is look at myself in the mirror and I can see the results of donuts and ice cream and cookies and all sorts of other good food groups. Should we be reminding ourselves about something that is just as well forgotten? I suppose there's a day set aside for stubbing your toe, too. National Blindfolded Driver Day may sound like a day we should support as a way to cut down on traffic, but it would surely overload the hospitals. How about just having a National Back-Seat Drivers day? All that causes is stress, which isn't all that bad when you compare it with a 500,000 car pileup on the interstates from the blindfold thing. But how about National Grease & Sugar Day? You know, just cut to the marrow, so to speak. What I really like about naming days after all sorts of things, is that it gives Congress and our legislators something meaningful to do with their time. It also makes for a more collegial association. It's something they can also all agree on, too. I mean, did you ever hear about a "floor fight" over naming a day after the turnips? Or how about an all out filibuster over the naming of the National nightcrawler Day? Me either. I like it when my Congressman and Senators get along with all the other Congressmen and Senators. Makes me feel like my favorite corporation's money is being well spent. After all, it's not like there's anything pressing that they should be doing. So, a little bipartisan name calling, oops, I mean day naming, to go along with the usual gridlock in Congress is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment