Sunday, February 5, 2012

There Are All Kinds Of Textbooks.

Here's an idea worthy of consideration. In Afghanistan it has been decided that the best course of action in education is to develop a history book that does not mention the past forty years. At all. Yep, it doesn't mention the Russian war. It doesn't mention the mujaheddin or Taliban. Hey it doesn't even mention the U.S. military presence. So I guess the last four decades didn't even happen. Happy New Year, 1972. Is that a good idea? I mean the reason they give is to not widen any disagreements between ethnic and political groups. Ya think they're likely to not remember that American GIs are there? Or that they don't like the folks in the next village? Or that the Taliban didn't cause any problems? Or will they forget how to raise poppies? Now we all know that Afghanistan has been a little slow in approaching the new century, but which century are we talking about? On the other hand, hey, maybe they're right. Maybe forgetting the bad things that happen is the best plan. I know I'd like to forget the Republican nominating process this last year and a half. In fact, forgetting the lead up to almost all elections would be a real blessing. The question is how in the world would we be able to get everyone to agree on it. As if that wasn't bad enough, try forgetting the last forty years yourself. Well, some of us have already done that, just not by choice. But what if we had to vote on whether or not to forget the last four decades? How would you vote? If there's a marriage in there or a new baby or a graduation or an incarceration, well maybe you'd just as soon forget that, but how about your first new home or, oh well, you get the idea? I'm not sure I'd want to forget the whole four decades, but if I could selectively forget some of it, I'm in. Otherwise, I'm going to give some thought to that. I just want to be careful that they don't decide to forget me while I'm thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment