Monday, January 2, 2012

The Washington Post, Congress And Elvis.

I'm picking a fight with the Washington Post this morning. They've got an editorial in about how they think this country should stop subsidizing electric cars. They also mention we stopped subsidizing corn-based-ethanol. Can't say I disagree with that one. Corn-ethanol subsidies were screwing up the food production chain. But subsidizing electric cars makes sense. Look, all new technology needs help getting started. If it weren't for government help and research, half of the technology we have today, maybe more, still wouldn't exist including the computer. You have only to look at Germany and China to see how their assistance is helping their solar and wind energy industries clean our clocks. And take our jobs. But to hear congress tell it, such investment in research is wasteful in the extreme. Congress is convinced the only research we need to do is to research how quickly we can run a pipeline from Canada to Texas in order to refine dirty Tar Sands oil into clean exportable fuel so our giant oil industry can make even greater profits. I'm not sure how that helps us and I'm not sure how refusing to support research into new and emerging technology helps us either. I'll bet if you found a way to convert desert sand into clean burning, efficient energy, but it would take a twenty dollar bill to perfect it, I doubt congress would help you. And I'm beginning to wonder if the Washington Post would recommend it. For some reason, they just don't want America to move on. It's the old story of "it was good enough for my parents and me, it's good enough for the future". I wonder why they didn't feel the same way about the Iron Horse? And Hooped Skirts". Maybe they did. Maybe Elvis isn't dead after all. Maybe he's in congress. All shook up over progress. The Washington Post should look into that and leave technological research funding to them what knows better. What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment