Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ever Make A Mistake?

Good morning and welcome to the first day of 2012. This being Sunday, I paid a visit to my local church. I had gotten word that last week, Christmas day, after thee Christmas Eve services with the last one getting over around 1:AM., The minister made a fatal mistake. It's claimed he read his sermon. Now I don't know if he actually did read it or some folks just wanted something to complain about. In any event I offered some sage advise to the pastor this morning. "If you must read your sermon, do it with your mouth closed" was my advise. Needless to say my advise wasn't all that well received. See, that's the problem with advise. There's always more than one way to interpret it. I could have meant that he should have acted like a ventriloquist and invited one of the dummies to stand next to him while he read the sermon, mouth closed, throwing his voice or I could have meant that reading a sermon is not up to the theatrical performance this congregation is accustomed to, so read it only in you study in preparation of giving it without notes. See? Either way I'm bound to anger someone. It just depends on who I want to upset. There must be a way that I could have given the advise without angering somebody or there should be a way for me to upset both parties. Giving advise is hard work, just ask your minister or priest. Nobody wants advise. Everybody wants to be assured they're doing everything just right. But if you're going to tell someone who has made a mistake they're wrong, it's best if you do it without reading your accusation. You really do need to look and sound like you are the only one that noticed it and it will forever remain our little secret. If you show that you've written it down, you're not going to be convincing. Of course there's always the option of keeping my mouth shut. But then that would be out of character.

1 comment:

  1. Not only did the minister READ last Sunday's sermon, it wasn't even his sermon! He stole it from St. John Chrysostom, the 4th century archbishop of Constantinople.

    Actually it was a better sermon than he normally preaches. Even if he WAS talking in his sleep...and mine.

    ReplyDelete