Saturday, December 10, 2011

It's All Down The Royal Hill From Here.

Well now I know things are getting tough. The Queen of England has been laid off. Okay, that's not completely true. She hasn't been laid off. Just her income has been laid off. Presumably she's still expected to work. For free. Now it's not that she can't afford to do that. The simple fact is, it's not even true that she's needed at all. That includes the whole family. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be cruel, and I realize just how much the English people revere her, but exactly what is it that she does that couldn't be done by a president for substantially less money. Or even a prime minister. Or even a less than prime, minister. Now the idea of this entry today is not to find fault with the Queen or her family, but rather to point out that folks who act like royalty don't always contribute anywhere near what they cost. Take corporate executives, especially Wall Street execs and hedge fund managers. Hey, they make even more than the Queen does, I mean did, and they don't even officiate at state functions. They don't even officially open parliament, or congress. Lord knows they should, since they own it, but they don't even show up for the opening. I would hope that if I owned congress, I'd at least show up for the opening. You know. To sort of cheer them on and remind them that there must be no new taxes on the 1%. Now getting back to the Queen, you don't suppose she did something to get Parliament mad at her, do you? You know, like a public snub. Or even a private snub. Well, now I suspect the Brits will take a second look at these leaders who have short-changed her majesty. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that heads have rolled after the next election. There could even be a no confidence vote. Why can't we call a no confidence vote? They could demand a reinstatement of her Majesty's paycheck Can't have the grand old lady going around in hand-me-down gowns and crowns, now can we? Next thing ya know they'll have her back in the old horse and buggy. A what?            .

No comments:

Post a Comment