Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hey! It's My Legacy, Don't Mess With It.

Have you ever contemplated how you will be remembered,what your legacy will be? In order to do that, you have to recognize your own mortality. This isn't an easy exercise. I know that when I pass away, I plan to be cremated and that really burns me up. I worry that after I've gone on to my eternal reward, whatever that may be, that I will not be remembered as a serious political observer. I am, however, an astute critic of our current political system. On the other hand I consider myself to be bipartisan in my disapproval of both the Democrats and the Republicans. As for Independents, I bequeath my strong belief that when asked which side you will support, you ought to say, "yes". An independent, when asked if he favors a particular viewpoint, might offer this response,"some say yes and some say no. I agree". How does one claim to be an independent? Is it because they don't have any opinion on anything? Are they unable to make up their minds on any subject? Do they fear reprisal or disapproval of acquaintances? Do they not have an original thought? If they agree with one side, does that make them a full fledged member in good standing of that side? Do they covet the attention of being courted by both sides? I propose the answer is none of the above, but rather, that they forgot the question. Back to my legacy. I want to be remembered as a wise-acher, someone who is more than willing to poke fun at the most respected of our leaders when the screw up. And they will. I also want to be remembered for being willing to poke fun at those who consider themselves to be great leaders, even though they are not. Most of all, I want to be remembered for being willing to poke fun at those who are truly buffoons and don't know it. I'd like to be remembered as one of the greatest baritones of our times. I'd like to, but it isn't likely that I will be so honored. Well, okay, if I can't be a great baritone, then how about a magnificent tenor instead? These are the contemplations I contemplate late at night.  And lastly, I want to be remembered by my real name, Fred Farkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment