Friday, August 26, 2011

What's A Little Water Amoung Friends?

Hey. Could you get me a drink of water, please? Not from a half of a billion people I couldn't. In fact probably quite a few more than that. That's just the number of people that could finally get regular, safe drinking water for the paltry sum of .16% of the GDP of the world, or $168 billion. Now, let me be the first to say that's a lot of money. In fact, I'm not so sure we can afford to spend that much money on a half billion people I don't even know. On the other hand, I guess I never will get to know any of them if they don't get some clean water. Question is, do I need or want to get to know any of those folks. I mean I'm sure they're nice people, but hey, I know enough nice people already. Come to think of it, I know more than enough not so nice people and they all have all the water they want. Maybe we could give the not so nice people's water to those who don't have any. I suppose you could say that that half billion people seem to be surviving on what they have, so "What? Me worry?" Then again I'll bet those folks aren't too happy that we're not helping them. It's just a guess, mind you, but I think we might have enough people who aren't too happy with us. Ya know, I wonder if helping other people is a good thing? Isn't it written down somewhere that we should be doing that sort of thing? Then again, there's that old saying that no good deed goes unpunished. If I gave .16% of what I made, it would come to, ahhh. I'm a rusty on math, but ya know what? That's way less than one percent. Heck, I could do that. Of course being capable of doing it and actually doing it are two different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment