Friday, August 12, 2011

Coke Anyone?

Let me tell you about my day, or at least a small part of it. I was down town and parked on a side street to go to a store around the corner. At the corner was  parked a Coca-Cola truck. But it wasn't the usual delivery truck we're all used to seeing. it was a large tractor trailer truck. It was so long that not only was it parked in front of a fire hydrant, it also stuck out into the side street blocking just slightly more then half of the side street. But hey, I would be in the store for a while and the motor on the truck was running so I wasn't concerned. When I came out of the store however, the truck was still there. I knew I would have trouble getting around the truck. Then to my delight, I noticed a police car, lights flashing and a cop in the car obviously writing a ticket. Was my day made? Just think though.  Coca Cola brand has decided to cut costs by laying off half it's drivers and using tractor trailers to deliver it's product to diners. It's cheaper to pay a parking ticket from time to time then it is to hire more drivers and use smaller trucks. Do you think this makes them more competitive in the marketplace? Who are the competing against? Pepsi? Pepsi is doing the same thing I'm sure. So who are they competing with? China? They bottle that stuff regionally, they don't import coke from Singapore already bottled. The bottom line has become so important that it's more profitable to break a few small laws like blocking a fire hydrant and a side street then it is to hire another driver. Does anyone understand why our country is in trouble? Ya know why we have so many unemployed?  Because Coca Cola would rather pay a fine . Do you know how I know Coca Cola would rather pay a small fine for blocking a fire hydrant and a side street? Because the driver was still delivering cases of coke. Not falling behind on the deliveries was more important then the ticket. Now I understand that in this day and age the bottom line is extremely important. After all, some CEO's pay package may depend on it. But that CEO's pay package is standing in the way of some people getting their jobs back and this country getting back on it's feet. Hey Coca Cola. China ain't gonna move in on ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment