Sunday, August 14, 2011

STRAW POLLS. Ya Gotta Love Em.

Have you figured out this STRAW POLL thing? As near as I can determine, it's a group of political junkie Iowans who want an excuse to get together from time to time to get to meet and greet some political celebrities. It looks like a chance to party, big time. It doesn't appear to have any real significance for the actual caucuses or primary elections. It is not an accurate prediction of who will get nominated and certainly not who will eventually get elected. Maybe the only reason is the party thing. Now when my friends and I want a party, we just decide on a time and place and do it. Of course my friends and I aren't really into autographs and rubbing shoulders with stars and so maybe that's what it's all about after all. Notice how I made the point that I actually have friends? Okay, so they may only be acquaintances. The real point is, we don't get the kind of news coverage that the STRAW POLLS get. And that's what is most annoying. How come when we get together we don't have a lot of cameras and reporters falling all over us? Actually, that may be the thing about STRAW POLLS. Did you ever hear about STRAW POLLS until there was 24/7 cable news programming? No. So obviously the reason for STRAW POLLS is to fill air time and pay for reporters and camera operators. But how come politicians spend so much time and money on this thing that doesn't mean anything to their chances to win? I suppose if they don't, they won't be able to bring in the green. That's it, I'll bet. It's the money. STRAW POLLS bring in cash for campaigns. Build war chests. It's the money stupid. Now I get it. Maybe I should hold a STRAW POLL. Whatta you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment