Monday, August 22, 2011

Hi Legal Tender. How's It Goin?

Now there's an interesting concept. An article in the paper this morning suggests that the twentieth century was in large part the century of children's rights. We as a society and increasingly around the world, recognized the need to protect children from abuse from society. To protect children. Good idea. In fact, so good that advocates for business and industry decided to take a page from that same playbook. So, as children gained legal rights, so did corporations become recognized as persons. Yep. Corporations are legally persons. And people, persons, have a variety, or as it's called in law books, a bundle of rights. So what's in your bundle? Maybe that's not as important as what's in corporations bundles. Because what rights corporations have, seems to outweigh the rights of actual "people". No wait. Corporations are "people". I guess I'll have to state that differently. Corporate rights seem to outweigh human rights. I don't think that was supposed to be the intended outcome. On the other hand, if I were a conspiracy advocate, I might think that was exactly the intended outcome. I guess it all depends on just how smart the folks who pushed these rights through for corporations were. But now if you try to protect children from harmful advertising, the corporate rights under the first amendment to free speech, take precedence. Is that the right response from our courts? Should the courts be showing favor to corporate rights over child needs? Are profits that important? Just how important is the dollar? Will the almighty dollar be the next to receive legal rights? Next time I open my wallet, should I salute that lone dollar bill in there? Or will just a simple greeting be enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment