Thursday, April 24, 2014

Ya Just 'Can't Figure The IRS.

       I was one who never grumbled at the IRS for targeting so called "Social Service organizations" for approval for tax exempt status. Most shouldn't have received the tax break. I admit I have always grumbled at paying any taxes, but I also have always understood the need. Those Social Service groups are, at least many of them, are nothing more than fronts for politicians and their grubbing for campaign cash. They're a bad joke.
       And I never objected to the IRS for going after folks who didn't pay their fair share of taxes. But I have to say, that I do object to the IRS giving bonuses to it's own employees who owe back taxes. There were 1150 IRS employees who owed back taxes and got the bonuses anyway. And the year before there were 2800 employees who had faced disciplinary actions who got bonuses.
       It sounds like the kind of place where almost anyone would love to work.  Just think, you could decide not to pay your taxes, sluff off on the job, tell your boss where to go, do  poor work and still get a bonus. Most places would let you go for any one of those crimes against humanity. But the IRS seems to reward such behavior.
       I guess my parents were wrong. They always told me to work hard, do your best, be respectful of your superiors and all that. But it sounds like that doesn't matter at some government institutions. I wonder if a person would be penalized for good behavior? I can see it now; being called into the bosses office and told "you're fired", because you were pleasant on the phone with a taxpayer who had a question.
       Still it's somewhat a leap of faith to go from being a "not so good" employee, to getting your bonus in spite of all that you've done. And it's not just a small bonus, they totaled around $2.8 million in one year for those do-badders. That averages out to be a thousand $$$ each. I wonder what the good workers made? That would determine whether doing you best is worth the bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment