Friday, August 2, 2013

Just Where Does Poverty Begin?

Do you remember back in 2012 when Obama was running for a second term? Remember how he wanted people making over $250,000 a year to pay more taxes? Remember how they complained that $250,000 was not rich? That it was nearly poverty in some places? Well last night the Daily Show reminded me of that and it got me to thinking about the folks who are asking to raise the minimum wage.
       So I decided to look at what it would take for a minimum wage earner to make$250,000 a year. I got out my trusty calculator and punched in $7.50 per hour for a forty hour work week. My calculator, which never lies, told me it would take 833.333 weeks per year for a minimum wage earner to make $250,000. Or looking at it another way, it would take 641.02 hours per week or 91.57 hours per day based on a seven day week. Another way to look at it is a minimum wage earner would have to work 16.02 forty hour weeks per week to earn $250,000 per year.
       Well. What's the point to all this? I guess my point is more of a question. If $250,00 per year is near poverty, exactly what is minimum wage near? Because $250,000 works out to $4807.69 a week or about $120.19 per hour
       Maybe what we should have been saying is that "for some people, $250,000 isn't such a big amount of money, but for most people, it is. And for people forced to work for minimum wage, it's astronomical. I think that if people making $250,000 or more a year don't want to be singled out, they should stand up and be in favor of a minimum wage hike. And that includes everybody in Congress. And the President.

No comments:

Post a Comment