Tuesday, August 13, 2013

So where Do You Go On Vacation?

       I have friends who love to go to the shore. Some go a lot. I could never see what they saw in the seashore.  After all, what is there to see? The view? Look, what you can see from the seashore is water. Water from the end of the beach out to a line on the horizon. Then the sky starts. Sand, water, a line and then air. What's that all about?
       Now some folks like to watch the young scantily clad women. I admit that's nice. I suppose women like to watch the young scantily clan men. I don't like that idea. I suppose it's because I'm not young anymore. I wouldn't ever go out on the beach scantily clad. I'll bet people would watch, but not for the same reason they watch the young and scantily clad. I couldn't stand the guffaws.
       No, the best view at the seashore is the view from the water looking back at the land. See, it's the changes in landscape that's interesting to look at. You know, a tree here, a hill there, some rocks over yonder. Now that's a view. Hills or mountains, and valleys and the flowing water of a stream or a mountain lake nestled in a quiet valley. I could walk around, scantily clad, and nobody'd see me. Now that's what I like. You can still see water and air, but you can also see trees and grass and hills.
       The problem with all of this is getting there. It doesn't matter whether you want to go to the shore or the mountains or a city. You either have long waiting lines at the airport or you drive. Driving means road construction. There's only two times of year. Winter and road construction. A two hour drive takes about six hours and if you're lucky, or prepared, you won't run out of gas at a construction site. Or get a flat tire from a pothole not yet filled.
       And as for the beach, I've been there. It's so crowded you're lucky if you can see the water anyway. I know people who have nice homes in the country. Swimming pools, a nearby golf course, a big screen TV. What in the world are they gonna do at the beach they can't do better at home? I guess it's just the "getting away" that people enjoy. 
       I suppose if I was from the flat lands, I wouldn't mind the shore. Some of those flat states are like the shore. But green fields to a line and then air. Except there's no scantily clad young people. I guess that would be a reason to go to the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment