Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Not Every Legislator Ignores Us. Too Bad.

       Have you ever received a phone call from your congressman's aid? I did yesterday. It's not the first time either. Congressmen never make the call themselves unless you're calling to give them some money, lots of money. The call was in response to a less than flattering letter I had sent him a while back. The aid asked my opinion on a number of issues and I answered about those and other issues. I found fault with a number of them, I think we feel differently on most issues.
       I asked him why it was that nobody in Washington was talking about jobs, but everybody wants to starve the economy, a move that can only harm job growth. There was a pair of economists who did a report on how austerity would help the economy. Until it was pointed out that their information was flawed. It seems they left out some important information that, when added in, disproved their theory.
      We talked about education and why some legislators want to end the Education Department. He asked if I felt decisions are better made on the local level. I said not necessarily. He asked why. I pointed out that not all board members in school districts have the best interest of the students in mind. That all too often some members of school boards are there for personal reasons. To get a child hired at a neighboring school or to cut taxes, and have little or no interest in the actual educating of the students. It's not so hard to get elected. Who wants that job anyway? It's a thankless one.
       I mentioned term limits hoping that would shut him up. He pointed out his boss had said he agreed with term limits. I asked if his boss planned to run again? He replied that it was too soon to know? I think he thought I'd believe that one. Have you ever heard a politician state he was sure he would or would not run? Not until about a year before the actual election.
       I don't think he was overly happy with my responses, but he did say he would type them up and give them to his boss. I'll have to check his circular file. Then he invited me to keep writing to the Congressman. He appreciates all letters from his constituents. It's easy to say that if you plan on recycling them. Or maybe they could go into one of those $5 million incinerators the army can't use in Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment