Friday, July 6, 2012

Don't Sue The School, School The Sue'er.

I just finished reading an article in the N.Y. Times about why boys aren't doing as well in school. The article claims that not every boy, or girl for that matter, fits neatly into the mold. Some are pliable and interested in the subject matter and some aren't. Basically the article is saying that schools need to find way to reach these 'misfits' other than medications. Part of the problem is the law suit. Teachers and schools can get sued quicker than you can say 'good morning class.' Now don't get me wrong, I don't think it's time to allow capital punishment for speaking out of turn and I don't think teachers should be allowed to beat children. But up to that point, maybe parents need to back off. I mean if junior is causing a problem. being a distraction, speaking unkindly in four letter words, maybe the school and teacher should be allowed to muzzle him. But I agree. Not every kid is just like the next kid. Let's stop treating them like they should be and somethings wrong if they aren't just like the perfect model. See when a parent takes the child's side in every fight, then it's the parent who needs capital punishment. Okay maybe only corporal punishment. But stop giving the kid the impression that he can do anything he wants without facing punishment for his actions. What if I acted that way. Suppose I stood up in church and started talking over the preacher? Sometimes I feel like that might be a good idea. But what if I decided to ignore stop signs and traffic lights. If I got away with misbehaving in school, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get away with it in traffic court. And if I resisted arrest, I don't think the cop would say "Oh, well in that case, it's okay." Well it ain't okay in school either and parents need to understand it ain't. Sorry about the ain'ts, Miss Parker.

No comments:

Post a Comment