Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ethically speaking, Ho Ho Ho.

The Ethics Committee of our House of Representatives has cleared seven members of ethics charges. Wow! Who could have guessed. In all fairness, we can't know for sure. What happened is this, companies who wanted Earmarks, which are not tattoos, had to each pony up $20,000 for the Congressmen who would decide on the Earmarks. They did vote for the Earmarks. Trouble is, nobody knows for sure who was doing the demanding. The Congressmen or the lobbyists? So, of course, if you can't find out who did it, you can't charge the wrong people. Ya know, there's an old rule of thumb that says there should be no appearance of impropriety. Of course being a member of Congress is automatically a presumption of impropriety. And not without cause. I mean, lets face it, there doesn't seem to be anyplace where there is more impropriety, except maybe a large handful of State Legislatures. Which may be the training grounds for some people. Others are left to learn on the job. I don't think our founding fathers had in mind for Legislators to get rich on the job. I think they had in mind a group of people who, selflessly, would give a part of their lives in the service of their fellow Americans. Just like they were doing. And at some real danger to themselves, I might add. The only danger our present day Legislators face is not getting reelected and not being able to get a job as a lobbyist soliciting those who do get reelected. They're in the chips, as the saying goes. I guess what I don't understand is why we pay Congressmen to serve on a committee, like the Ethics committee, when they have no idea what ethics are. Now, don't get me wrong, I can tell you without exception, that my Congressman and Senators are very ethical people. It's you legislators I'm worried about.

No comments:

Post a Comment