Friday, February 19, 2010

I'm, a filibuster. You can be one too.

Ya know what I don't get? I don't get this filibuster business in the Senate. Here's what I understand. The country elects two Senators from each state. The majority rules, that's that. That is, if the minority allows them to rule. Unless the majority has sixty members that are all willing to go along with it's rule. If not, then the minority takes over again. So really the minority rules. Except they can't pass any laws because they don't have a majority of the votes. This is where it starts getting complicated. So, how does the Senate get so screwed up? Filibuster! The minority threatens to filibuster. The Senate can't do anything. Well actually it could, unless a Senator actually filibusters. Which means the Senator must start talking. About anything he or she wants, for as long as he or she can. But, here's the catch. If the Senator stops talking, for any reason, the filibuster is over. So? So why doesn't the majority just say "go ahead, filibuster. When you fall over, we'll call for a vote". Why don't they just do that? That's what I don't get? How come? I think there's an unwritten rule in the Senate that nobody will actually force a filibuster. So any Senator can be in total charge of the Senate. Just one person. It's sorta like a kids game. Boy! I wish I was a filibuster. Just imagine. I could require everyone in the Senate to stand on their heads and sing nah nah na nah nah. I mean, they wouldn't' look any more foolish then they do now. Would they? I'm, old enough to remember a filibuster. Maybe they think they looked silly doing it back then. Maybe that's why they don't want to do it now. I think they look silly now. Don't you? The thing is, they're doing more harm now and looking silly too. Children! It's time to stop playing and come in and do your chores.

No comments:

Post a Comment