Friday, July 21, 2017

Pardon Me.

       When would it be appropriate to relieve a "special council" of his duties? When would it be appropriate to pardon anyone who was indicted in the Russian probe? When would it be appropriate for the president to pardon himself? Don't these questions seem silly, even stupid? But there seems to be an interest in the White House for answers to these questions.
       Now why would these kinds of questions come up if nobody was interested in using the pardon trigger? I can tell you I'm not at all interested in using it for myself. But then I'm not some big wig in the White House. In fact I'm not any kind of big wig. But some folks are and I'll just bet some of them are just a bit scared they could wind up looking at jail time. Those are the kinds of people who would be most likely to be interested in a pardon.
       And I'll just bet our president is just the kind of man who would be most interested in pardoning them. Of course it would all have to be on the up and up. You know, like in the best interest of himself. He certainly wouldn't do it without dismissing the Special Council first. And to do that he'd have to show cause. Like having his tax returns revealed. I suppose someone in the IRS would have to be dismissed as well, perhaps the janitor.
       But what about pardoning himself? That would take some real courage. Well, he's got that. And some really great lawyers He's got them too. The real question is what would Congress do if these things came to pass? If I had to guess and if I had to bet on it, my guess is that just under fifty Senators would vote for impeachment which would kill the bill and nothing would be done but some whining by Democrats and a few Republicans, who voted against the bill because of some language in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment