Friday, February 3, 2017

Here's How To Spend Your Time

       I've tried to be quiet about President Trump's picks for his cabinet. I haven't been successful at it, but I've tried. But now we're at a point where I'm concerned for my grandchildren.  Ms. Betsey DeVos has been selected by Pres. Trump for Secretary of education. I've got a real problem with that. I still have children in public school. It was not a well thought out selection.
       Ms. DeVos never attended public school. She was fortunate enough to go to private school and my guess is it was a very good school. She understands that many public schools are doing a poor job educating our children. Those schools are not preparing our children to become productive members of our society. We all understand that.
       That's where she goes wrong. Her answer is to give students vouchers to attend good private schools. Pay To Learn. That's the message she has for everyone, Pay To Learn. Now that's a decent plan for those who can afford to Pay To Learn, but it leaves many middle class students and nearly all poor student out. Rich students and upper middle class students really don't need her help but the students who do need help, well Betsey doesn't seem to care too much about.
       Now I suppose those students in those under achieving schools that would become under funded by Betsey's plan can, well, I guess they should just eat cake. Except you need to be able to afford to buy cake and to afford cake, you need a good job and to get a good job, you need a good education. Ya see, we're right back to those public schools that Betsey DeVos doesn't seem to care about. And that's why you need to contact your two Senators and ask them to please reject Betsey DeVos for Education secretary.

No comments:

Post a Comment