Monday, October 31, 2011

To Gift Or Not To Gift.

Getting away from politics for a day, I've been wondering about something that came to my attention the other day. Here's the question, if I give you a gift, can I assume that when the time comes that you no longer have need of or use for that gift, I have the right to reclaim it? It seems to me that if I do, then it really wasn't a gift, but rather a loan. If that's true, then why do those who want gifts back still insist on calling them gifts. And act as though they had gifted someone. Now if it's a loan, perhaps there should be some sort of loan contract signed and, depending on the value, should also be notarized. Let's say, for the sake of argument I give you a toaster oven as a Christmas gift, then I think ownership should pass to the recipient, you. Otherwise, I should ask for a signature on a promissory note that states possession must revert to the givor, me,  upon any decision not to use it any more or to get rid of it, by the givee, you. This way, the givee clearly understands that this is a loan and that there are certain understood principals that must be followed. Like proper maintenance, periodical cleaning using an approved method, regular inspection by the givor and perhaps, again depending on the gift's value, proper insurance coverage. In other words, if I give you a set of earrings that are imitation silver, although not of great value, they never-the-less must be properly cared for and my investment must be protected, if they are to be on loan. Now you may feel this is not a proper discussion to have on an open blog, but let me tell you that several presidential contenders have already weighed in on the subject, and I want to resolve the problem before it becomes a political a football. I believe the seriousness of this business and the widespread practice of loan-gifting needs to be addressed. I await your recommendation as to the naming of this practice and expect you will be in complete agreement and accord with me. If, on the other hand you disagree, I will expect your legal brief on my desktop no later that the third Friday of November, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment