Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What Global Warming?

GLOBAL WARMING! Not much brings more concern to the table then global warming. Not much brings more arguments to the table either. Why is that? I mean it's pretty clear that science is saying it's a fact and we're a large part of the problem. Yet there's still  a bunch of people who claim it's just a giant hoax. Or that it may be happening but we had nothing to do with it. Or that even if we did, there's nothing we can do to stop it. Or that, and I love this one the best, it would just be too costly to do anything about it. Have I missed any arguments? Ya know what's funny about these arguments? Often they come from the same people. It's not happening, we didn't do it, it's too late, it's too expensive. You'd think these folks would make up their minds. Now, of course, for some folks it's strictly an economic thing. By that I don't mean they think it would be too costly. What they really mean is that they have a lot invested in the current energy systems and don't want to have to scrap those systems without substantial rewards for doing so. So if I own stock in an oil company, and we stop buying oil, who do I see about a refund on my stock? Or if I'm an electric company and folks all go out and buy wind generators, who's gonna replace my profits? Or if I'm employed by one of these companies, who's gonna hire me? Well the answer to the first two need to be, YOU. The third answer is YOU GO OUT AND RETRAIN YOURSELF. Although I do think the government needs to begin to better fund the retraining process so folks can do it. I guess what I'm saying is that we need to stop thinking of ourselves first and start thinking of ourselves, first. Or, leave out the "I" and start thinking
"WE" for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment