Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy New Year And Make A Resolution.

Well, it's nearly New Year's Eve. Time to make our annual resolutions. Does anyone remember what they resolved to do or not do, last New Year's Eve? I recall that I resolved to not eat rutabaga. It was easy to keep. I can't stand the stuff. I may try again to abstain. What about our elected officials. Both in Washington and in state capitals? Do you suppose they make resolutions too? I can hear it now. "My fellow Americans, I pledge to lower taxes and increase services in the coming year". Don't ya just know it? In closed door sessions, they pledge to increase corporate "gifting" to legislators through the fine upstanding residents of K street. I speak of our corp of money launderers known as lobbyists. True, they do speak on behalf of the needs of their employers. Therein lies the problem. If our elected officials really wanted to do the right thing, they'd give no more attention to these folks as they do to regular citizens. That is to say, they should pay no attention to lobbyists at all. Now, I understand how improper that would be, not to mention, it would be rude and inconsiderate to ignore lobbyists like they ignore John Q. Public. After all, the lobbyists foot the bill for everything of importance to our democracy. They provide free transportation, housing and meals, tee times, overseas junkets and most importantly, campaign contributions including to the PACs that have become so important and indispensable to the electoral process, to our legislators. After all, if it were not for these funds, who would tell you how terrible and vile and incompetent their opponents are? I for one applaud both our elected officials and the lobbyists who endeavor to keep them in office.

No comments:

Post a Comment