Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Hate It When I'm Right.

Ya know, I don't mean to find fault with America. It's a great place to live. For the time being. But down the road a couple of decades from now, it could very likely be a third world country. Now that doesn't mean that everybody will be adversely affected. I mean the wealthy will still be living the good life with their tax cuts and all, but the rest of you (I say rest of you because by then I'll be long gone), the rest of you will all be living hand to mouth and there won't be much in the hand. Take for instance green technology. I know, I know. Some of you don't believe in the whole climate change thing. And that's OK. But the rest of the world is gearing up to meet the demand for carbon neutral and renewable energy products for home and industry. Now, far be it from me to find fault with our political leaders. They've led us into and through some tough times. But the one thing they don't seem to be willing to do, is to buy into the idea that green means jobs. All you hear whenever the subject comes up in Congress is that it will kill jobs. Meanwhile, China has just surpassed the entire world in green technology investment. Can you imagine that? China! Maker of cheap, contaminated, poorly made products that other people thought of, is actually investing in technological research to the tune of $75 billion per year, four or five times what America is spending. Meanwhile back here on the ranch, all we hear is Bah Humbug. Well, the laugh is on us, as in U.S. Because many of our companies and brightest researchers are flocking to China, because that's where the work is. And also, that's where the money is. Interestingly enough, some of that money used to be ours. I have a suggestion for you. Invest in Chinese language classes. Or green technology. But time just might be short.

No comments:

Post a Comment