Monday, September 27, 2010

Energy Legislation? Oh Come On Now.

Well, the Senate is finally moving toward some sort of energy bill. They're calling for electric utilities to derive 15% of their power from alternative energy sources by 2021. Is that the kind of strong statement we want to make? I mean, a whole 15%? Don't most states require that much or more already? Are we supposed to think that's showing courageous leadership? And of course, that's only electric. What about transportation? Isn't that part of the energy equation too? It appears that our esteemed deliberative body, the portion of government that advises and consents isn't much of an advisor if that's the best they can come up with. I don't think it's the best they can come up with, it's just the only thing they're likely to get any sot of agreement on. Can you imagine a group of grown men and women who know what's best for the country, but are unwilling to vote for what the other side wants. Either side. When I was little and my sister and I couldn't agree, my parents chose for us, or we did without supper. Maybe that's what we need. A few parents choosing for the Senate and sending them to bed without supper. The other thing my mom and dad believed in was couple punishment. By that I mean a couple of spankings. That's another thing these folks could use. They're not really children, so it wouldn't be against the law, would it? And I don't mean to disregard the House of Representatives either. They're just as welcome to the switch and to go hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment