Thursday, July 5, 2018

The Wrong Approach.

       Well, a few weeks ago, I wrote in a post about why the price of gasoline has gone up. But I just read where President Trump asked OPEC to lower the price of crude oil. Maybe he sort of told them to, but anyway the price of gasoline is up even higher. That's tough on me and everybody on a fixed income, but it's good for employment in the oil industry and for unemployment.
       Now if the price of oil sinks to anywhere near, I think the figure is $65 a barrel, it'll hurt the oil industry and there would be lots of layoffs and increased unemployment. The point is there are always consequences to any actions.
Which brings me to tariffs. When you decide to charge a tax on products another country exports to you, don't you think they're going to do the same to you?  Now I  agree that China has been stealing our technology and forcing American companies to hand over their technologies in order to do business in China.
       That's very unfair and we should have done something about it years ago. I'm just not sure that tariffs against Chinese and European products is necessarily the answer. They can just as easily tax American goods going to China and Europe. We need to demand China cease those practices or face a total cessation of trade between the two countries.
       That would likely send us into a deep recession . It could end the Chinese leadership. The president at least tried something with tariffs. He just tried the wrong approach. My advise, although I can't imagine him taking it, would be to listen to his most knowledgeable advisors. But only those who know what they're talking about. This IS like rocket science and we need someone who will take it as seriously as that science.

No comments:

Post a Comment