Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The NRA And The Gun.

       I just realized why the NRA fights so vigorously against any tightening of even sensible gun laws. Why does the NRA feel it's so important to allow even children to use guns?  Why can't we even have background checks to make sure the buyer of a gun isn't a criminal or straw buyer? It took me a while to put this all together. Actually they are all so interrelated.
       The reason is that guns are unlike food or even cars. Ya see, food gets used up fairly quickly or thrown out. Cars last a few years before they're traded in on a newer model. What am I driving at? Well, because most products need to be replaced often, there's a built in market for new sales. But guns are different, guns seem to last almost forever. What does all this have to do with the NRA's push to block any new gun laws? Because if guns last indefinitely, then the markets for new guns begins to dry up.
       Still don't get it? The NRA is the sales and marketing division of the gun manufacturing industry. Now the NRA doesn't send sales reps around to get you to buy guns even if you already have guns. Instead, they try to broaden the market for new guns. If it's okay for criminals to buy guns because of no background checks or if children are allowed to have guns, then that's a whole new segment of society available as customers.
       The NRA is a "facilitator" for the spread of firearms. It seems to be their goal that every person on earth have a gun or two. Now for the gun manufacturers bottom line, that's a good thing, but for humanity, not so much. Look, I like guns. I own three myself, but then I'm not a child, sometimes childish, but not a child. And I'm not a criminal and there's no protection from abuse order against me, nor would I buy a gun for someone who can't buy it himself because he does fit into those categories.
       What I'm saying is that when the NRA stands up and fights a new gun law, it doesn't mean that law is a bad idea. In fact it might mean it's a good idea, it only means it's bad for the gun business.

No comments:

Post a Comment