Monday, January 4, 2016

Just Who Does Own It?

       What is all this business with the Bundy family? Now Cliven's two sons have taken over the headquarters/visitor center of a minor wildlife refuge in southeastern Oregon. Cliven Bundy is the guy who didn't want to pay the grazing fees for his cattle to be on Federal lands. So he staged a sit-in/takeover/standoff with federal agents who had been ordered by the courts to confiscate his cattle in lieu of payments.
       Now his two sons have taken over the headquarters/visitor center of a small wildlife refuge in southeastern Oregon, claiming to be doing it for a rancher and his son who set fire to some of those federal lands. By the way, that rancher and son have disavowed any connection to the Bundies or their actions.
       What bothers me, and should bother you is that that rangeland Cliven wanted to use for free and that visitor center actually belong to me. And you. Now I don't know about you, but I want to be paid for the use of that rangeland and I want the visitor center open in case I decide to visit there.
       Who gave these Bundies permission to do what they've done in the first place? Their claim, basically, is that these properties belong to the people and they are people. But then so am I and so are you. Don't we count? Don't we get have a say in their takeover attempts? I don't remember any vote to give them special rights.
       Ya know, if the Bundies are within their rights, then I suppose I would be within my rights to take over occupancy of some federal building and land too. If that's the case, then I choose the White House and surrounding land. Now I might not have the right to turn around and sell it, but it would make me the defacto leader of the free world. Not too bad for a retiree.

No comments:

Post a Comment