Friday, March 22, 2013

What Does A Day Matter?

       I guess I must be a lot older than all these folks in Washington who're expending all this energy fighting about the U.S. Postal Service and whether or not they need to deliver mail on Saturdays. Now I get mail almost every day. And I throw away most of what I get without reading it. Of course that's just me. I know there are lonely people out there who pour over every page of every piece of junk mail they get. I sorta feel sorry for those folks. It must be lonely to be that lonely.
       Of course there are two schools of thought on junk mail. On the one side there are those who are convinced that if only the USPS could charge the same price for a piece of junk mail as first class mail, then all would be solved. The other side of the argument thinks that all that junk mail subsidizes your first class mail. Neither side wants Saturday deliveries to stop.
       Of course those two sides together only account for ten percent of the people. It does account for about ninety percent of Congress though.  But as I said, I must be a lot older than all those Congressmen, because I can remember when we got delivery of mail twice a day, morning and afternoon. I also remember the hew and cry over the Post Office deciding to cease twice daily deliveries and go to once a day. You'd have thought it signaled the end of civilization on earth. But so far as I can recall, we did live through that horrible experience.
       I admit it was touch and go for a while. People who got their morning paper in the morning and their afternoon paper in the afternoon were now getting them both at the same time. I think that's what saved the day for paper boys. Maybe I don't get enough mail to appreciate how important it is to get mail on Saturdays. Maybe if I got really important or interesting mail, I'd feel differently, but mostly I get bills or birthday cards. At my age, I could do with an extra day without those kinds of reminders.

No comments:

Post a Comment