Saturday, March 9, 2013

Of Drones And Clones.

        There's a lot being said and a lot of questions being asked, of late, about drones and how or when and against whom they can be used. I have to say, that at first, I didn't see the harm in using these things against terrorists. I didn't think about using them in America to kill terrorists. I assumed that any terrorist in our country should be arrested and tried.  I suppose they could be tracked by a drone until the police could get there.
       But there are other considerations. The more I think about it and the more I hear and read, the more I realize there needs to be some limitations put on the indiscriminate use of drones. Our president is rather quiet on the subject. But he seems to be ever widening the use of these things without much conversation outside the White House. I'm not convinced that's a good idea.
       It might be fine for Mr. Obama to set his own limitations, but what about the next president, or the one after that? At some point, and Senator Rand Paul is right about this, at some point we're gonna get someone in the White House who would use them indiscriminately. How would it be if a bad guy you think shouldn't have his finger on the trigger, is never the less in that position? What if his clone got elected next? What if the military decided to clone the best drone pilots to drive more drones?
       Another thing to consider is the question of who can be targeted. Does a person who happens to be related to a terrorist, by marriage, meet the terms of the definition? What if I once attended a party at which a terrorist also happened to attend? Does that mark me for a stinger missile? Hey, if I find fault with any president and their actions or policies, am I doomed? Laugh if you will, but did you know that people are being held at Guantanamo for financing terrorists or being drug cartel members if that cartel has given a terrorist money. What if I send a donation, unwittingly, to a terrorist, thinking it's for disaster relief? Must I then start watching the sky?
       These are questions the Congress should be asking. There are lots of folks in Congress that should enjoy questioning this president on such matters. Maybe then we could get off the austerity kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment