Thursday, July 7, 2011

Put Your Hands In The Air, This Is An Upstick.

Well there ya have it. Even the president is willing for me to take a cut in income in order for the economy to be saved. The only problem with his proposal is that some of the richest people in the country may have to take a cut in tax loop-holes. Now ordinarily you'd think that rich people would be willing to help the country get back on it's feet. After all if you're making ten or twenty million a year or even more, it's not going to be too painful to have to pay a little more in taxes. Ordinarily you'd think that. But you'd be wrong. So if the president agrees to cut back on Social Security increases, and inflation continues to rise, I'll have less to live on and corporate CEOs and hedge fund managers will continue to pay next to nothing in taxes and their incomes will continue to rise. It's sort of a "rise and fall" world, isn't it? Don't get me wrong, I believe that someone who is smart enough to become extremely successful, should reap just rewards for his or her efforts. And I even think that someone who is born with a silver spoon or special athletic abilities should have the right to capitalize on that good fortune. What I don't agree with is that they should be exempt from paying a fair share in taxes. I sort of feel like they should pay at least the same rate as the middle class has to pay, plus a little extra in return for the great good fortune they have of living in a country that makes it possible for them to rise to such dizzying heights. Honestly. I'm not greedy. I don't want all their money. I'd settle for what they haven't paid in taxes all these years. But then I'd be as rich as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment