Monday, May 3, 2010

Moms Are Nice People

There was a suggestion by a couple of Congressmen that might help the problem caused by the Supreme Court on campaign financing. Remember the court said that corporations can spend any amount on elections? Well this idea is to require anyone or any corporation who's paying for these attack ads to stand up and be counted. By that I mean they have to be in the ad themselves and state they are the ones who are paying for the ad. Makes sense to me. After all, if you're so dedicated to calling someone a no good so and so, you should be willing to stand up for the truth. But here's an interesting sideline. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce says it's a bad idea because it might cause some not to speak out. Well, my mother always told me that if I'm not willing to say something about someone in public, don't say it. Of course she also said that if I couldn't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all. Do parents still tell their kids those sorts of things? Do corporations have mothers? I don't think so. Maybe the government needs to pass this lay so it can act as the corporation's mother. Maybe the U. S. Chamber of Commerce needs a mother too. While I'm at it, there's a lot of other organizations that need a mother's touch. Like the NRA. Hey, ya know what? The U.S. Supreme Court could use a mother too, while we're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment