Sunday, November 15, 2015

Supreme Court! Stay Out Of My Insurance!

       There are times I wish I could say I told you so and there are times when I can say it. This is a time when I can't remember if I told you so, but I definitely thought we were making a mistake. I'm speaking of the affordable Care Act more commonly known as Obamacare. And they truly are the same thing.
       The problem comes in since the SCOTUS has once again has agreed to try to figure out how they can defeat this law. That and some unfortunate findings that insurance companies are placing unconscionably high deductibles in the healthcare.gov marketplaces. The premiums are low, but if you get sick, you may find that the deductibles are so high, you may not be able to afford the care.
        So, now the "I told you so, or not" part. Not having a single payer option is responsible for such games as are being played by for profit insurance companies. With no law to protect consumers but laws to make it costly not to have insurance, that option is sorely missed. Of course a single payer option wouldn't stop SCOTUS from trying valiantly to kill this national health insurance so we can go back to ???? What? Nothing as far as I can see.
       On the other hand, maybe the single payer option would have eliminated the argument over religious entities having to pay for it. But I'm quite sure the partnership between the Republican party and the insurance industry would have found a way to bring it to the Supreme Court.
       What's interesting to consider though, is how much health insurance might be costing us without the ACA and how many people would remain without insurance. See, when you hear talk about how bad the ACA is for America, just remember that the old system was the costliest in the industrialized world with the poorest outcomes. Single payer options would have made it just that much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment