Monday, November 22, 2010

To Screen Or Not To Talk About It.

Have you been following all of the frenzy on airport screening? I suppose if you don't watch cable news you may not even know what I'm talking about. They all talk about it like people were being strip searched on a public stage, complete with warm up acts and judging. Not only that, but they're talking about it every other snippet. You get something about the deficit then the screenings, then they interview two people you probably never heard of before about the subject. Then they interview somebody who you do know but only if that person doesn't like it. Then they interview somebody who ran a pole on the subject, then it's back to the deficit. Then they interview somebody else who doesn't like the pat downs. Then it's on to someone who is afraid of the xray, then it's somebody who assures us that the searches don't work, the screening doesn't work either. I once saw somebody say he didn't mind it and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. You'll never see him again. Now, don't get me wrong, I suppose there are some wrinkles to iron out, like not needing to check crew and being careful with people who have medical conditions. Careful, but not ignored. Otherwise, I see two possible alternatives. You can decide not to fly or they can eliminate the security measures altogether. Personally I like to drive anyway. You don't get to see much of the country when you fly. But for those who don't like driving, there's always the trains or even a bus. I'd pass on the bus though. I took a long  bus ride once and I think walking is preferable. But a train ride could be fun. Anyway, maybe we should first decide if we want security. If we do then maybe we should stop whining.

No comments:

Post a Comment