Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ho, Ho, Ho. Merry Oil Spill.

Well, there's no more oil gushing into the Gulf of Mexico. About a week or so after it was plugged, maybe two weeks, the government announced that 75% of all the oil spilled had disappeared. It was cleaned up or dissolved or maybe taken up to heaven where all good hydrocarbons go. Do you believe that story? Is that possible? Does that mean there will never be a price to pay for this spill?" Is BP off the hook? I remember when I was about six years old, I believed in Santa. But when I was about seven or so, I found out there was no Santa. About the same time I realized there was an advantage in still "believing" in Santa. Or so I thought. The thinking went this way; If you believe, you get your presents, if you stop believing, they may stop coming. As it turned out, even after Mom and Dad knew I didn't believe anymore I still got presents. Is there a connection here between what we're being told to believe and my Santa story? Yes. Whether or not we believe what the government tells us, there's still going to be presents, in the form of tar balls and etc, coming from this disaster, and BP and it's partners will still be to blame, and people will still suffer as a result. Now I never got a tar ball for Christmas. I don't think I ever asked for one. I'm sure that if I really wanted one, Dad would have figured out a way to give me one. I'm glad he didn't. I doubt the good folks along the Gulf Coast want one either. The difference is, they're going to get some regardless. Now, why should I care? I don't live there. But I do know some folks who do. And anyway, what affects them, affects me. If not now, then one of these days. My brother-in-law doesn't like wind turbines along some mountaintops. He feels it ruins his view. It's some sort of pollution, I guess. But if it helps us wean ourselves off fossil fuels,it can't be all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment