Sunday, June 8, 2014

Whose Right To Bear Arms?

       For some reason I wound up on the e-mailing list for the RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS newsletter. I'm surprised because while I do believe we should be able to own firearms, I don't agree with these Second Amendmenters. At least when it comes to open carry and stand your ground laws. And I especially don't get all worked up by their conspiracy theories.
       The latest conspiracy has to do with (guess who), Obama and this time the FDIC. That's the federal insurance for banks. It guarantees your deposits should the bank fail. Well, I wanted to see how that could possibly work. See the conspiracy states that the FDIC will take away our guns, and I wondered how that could be pulled off.
       Turns out, as best as I can determine, that the FDIC would take away the credit for gun dealers. That way all the gun dealers would go out of business. But even if that were possible, we Americans still have enough guns in the hands of private citizens to arm half the countries in the world and still have enough left over to challenge any army so foolish as to invade us.
       No matter, these folks are convinced President Obama is intent upon taking everybody's guns and do.... what? I assure you there isn't enough room in the White House to store them. Not even in the Lincoln bedroom. Now, I will admit the President and all reasonable, thinking citizens would like to limit the sales of guns, especially to the mentally unstable and to criminals. Which is something the NRA is flatly against. Actually the NRA is flatly against such legislation because the gun manufacturers have instructed them to be against it. See, that would cut down on sales, and that would be a bad thing. For them.
       The problem I see for the NRA and the manufacturers is that one of these days we'll have another mass killing that will be the tipping point that will cause even conservatives to be shamed into voting for far more strict legislation. Such legislation would be more fearsome than even the NRA. It would be a terrible cost and there's no reason for it. Except for groups like the NRA.

No comments:

Post a Comment